- My anxiety has been making it incredibly hard for me to function normally. In the past few weeks I've either been a giant ball of nerves, or walking around like a zombie because of mental exhaustion.
- It has been impossible for me to maintain focus for long enough to type coherent sentences, which is why I've skipped writing weeknotes for the last two weeks.
- The good news is that I'm finally speaking to a therapist!
- On the recommendation of my therapist, I'm also speaking to a psychiatrist. They've put me on an SSRI for a few months. Turns out I've had Generalized Anxiety Disorder for pretty much my whole life, which explains a lot of things.
- To keep better track of my moods and medication, I've started keeping a Bullet Journal. I'd already been using a method that was pretty close to what BuJo prescribes, but BuJo gives my notes a little more structure.
- As my anxiety has worsened, my ability to read fiction has deteriorated. I can understand the stories just fine, but I've completely lost the ability to visualize things in my head. I need to take my mind's eye to an optometrist. I'm hoping things will improve as the SSRI and therapy start to work their magic. In the meantime, I'm welcoming suggestions for non-fiction books that (a) are comforting, and (b) can be parsed and understood by this drug addled brain of mine.
- I'm staying away from everything political for the moment. I hope one day I can be politically engaged without damaging my mental health, but for now I need to take care of myself.
- I've bought myself an adult coloring book. While it doesn't help me feel more relaxed, it does keep the anxiety spirals in check. Whenever I'm feeling agitated, I can go and color for a while until I calm down. It also keeps me away from screens, which is always a win in my book.
- SAWAYAMA is a 10/10 album. It's currently tied with how i'm feeling now as my second favorite album of the year, with the top spot taken by RTJ4.
Week of 29 June, 2020